Tuesday, July 1, 2008

over full toy boxes

Why is that today we over indulge our children to the point that they do not appreciate ALL that they have? I mean "we" as our American society. I have recently became aware of how much my children have and how little they appreciate anything. Ya know, not just my kids - I am the same way to some extent.

So I have been de-cluttering our home. And weeding out our toy boxes (yes, we have four) I've made a huge dent in all that we own - mostly given away things we do not use on a regular basis - I'm sure my babysitter thinks I'm crazy for giving her bag after bag of toys and clothing. But I know she appreciate and needs all that I have passed along. Some things were yard saled.

I will continue to clear out the stuff I felt I so desperately needed in my twenties. Isn't that funny, "in my twenties sounds wierd." But in talking with some of my friends they all agreed, they accumulated many items during those years.

I so appreciate the way that Nicole and Steve choose to raise Jude, they have said many times it would be so easy to buy him many things but they limit themselves (self control that I need) and set realistic boundaries. and they stick to that! Way to go guys!

I have another friend on the other extreme - she buys her children hundreds of dollars for birthdays, Christmas and even buys each of her kids a gift on the other children's b-days so they do not feel left out. And her kids are very unappreciative to the point the destroy toys and scratch new DVDs. They have no regard for others toys also. it's sad what is happening to so many people - what happended to days past when children played with marbles and inexpensive items for days if not weeks and were never bored?

There has to be a balance. I want to have a balance for my kids. In saying that, Grace and Elliana's birthdays are next week. My flesh wants to go out and buy a bunch of goodies for them. But I am going to respect my husbands request and my conviction and buy one small item for each of them to enjoy. Something they will treasure. Any suggestions?

Anyone need any toys?

1 comment:

BurttBunch said...

That is what we do! They get ONE thing for there bday and 3 things for Christmas! We spend about $30 for there bday and about $100 TOTAL for all kids for Christmas. I try and make one of the 3 things. Its hard but I am like you...I want my kids to appreciate things! My mom overhauls them on cheap things that break after 10 minutes of playing with it.....I don't want my kids to have to have something everytime they see her! Its crazy!
We have TONS of cars! I think like 3 drawer fulls of cars alone! YIKES!
We need more girlie toys! Dress up clothes...etc....so I think I am getting Arabella a dress for her bday. Would that be good for Ellie or do you have enough?
For Grace what about a ring or a bracelet that would mean something to her? Like a promise ring?

Have a good day my friend! The pics of Isaac are really cute!

About Me

My photo
I am the daughter of a King. I am the apple of His eye. In addition, I'm a wife to the most wonderful man in the world - seriously - he puts up with me and loves me no matter what. I am so thankful for Brian! Most importantly, he loves the Lord with all of his heart and is a Godly role model to our children and others. Because of him, I'm a mom to four wonderful children - Ezra who's almost 9, Grace is 7, Elliana is 3 and Isaac who was a year on April 18. Life is a crazy whirlwind full of unexpected turns. This blog is to stay close to many friends and family throughout the US.